The Bionic Engineering Lab at the University of Utah is seeking a highly qualified and motivated individual for a postdoctoral research position.
The Bionic Engineering Lab provides a rich training environment for individuals interested in the intersection of biomechanics, wearable robotics, and rehabilitation medicine through a highly collaborative effort including the Utah Robotics Center, the Craig H. Neilsen Rehabilitation Hospital, and the NIOSH Rocky Mountain Center for Occupational & Environmental Health. The post-doctoral fellow will help provide project leadership and mentorship in the laboratory and will be able to select from several ongoing projects, as well as to start new projects in line with the mission of the laboratory. Interested candidates should send a CV and a brief statement of research interests to Dr. Tommaso Lenzi (email@example.com). Review of applications will start immediately.
- Biomechanical analysis of amputee gait with a lightweight powered knee/ankle/toe prosthesis (BionicE Leg video);
- Biomechanical and clinical assessment of powered exoskeletons for individuals gait impairments such as hemiparesis (knee exo video, hip exo video);
- Human performance enhancement with powered exoskeletons (exo running, exo jumping).
- Neural control of wearable robots using electromyography and sonomyography (NSF poster).
- Bi-directional neural interfaces for powered leg prosthesis.
- Development and validation of new algorithms for clinical outcome assessment based on machine learning.
- Experience in biomechanics, gait analysis, human research, and clinical testing;
- Proficiency with motion capture (camera and inertial based), indirect calorimetry, and electromyography.
- Established publication record;
- Ability to work closely with an interdisciplinary team of engineers, rehabilitation therapists, physicians, and end-users;
- Previous experience in wearable robotics and control is desirable but not required.
Life in Salt Lake City
Home of the “Greatest Snow on Earth,” Salt Lake City is a mecca of outdoor recreation. Seven major ski resorts are within an hour’s drive of campus. In the summer, thousands of hiking and biking trails are easily accessible along the Wasatch Front and five of the nation’s most beautiful national parks are located across the state. Salt Lake City is home to professional sports teams such as Real Salt Lake and the Utah Jazz. There also are cultural gems to experience such as the celebrated Sundance Film Festival, Ballet West, Utah Symphony, and one of the nation’s largest and most successful Comic-Con gatherings.